Clearfield Location History

The History of Chidboy Funeral Home, Clearfield


The Chester C. Chidboy Funeral Home, Inc.’s building has had a history of several owners. The building, known as the Mossop House was first deeded on October 20, 1888 by Richard and Margaret Mossop, and the building was constructed shortly thereafter. 

On December 2, 1903, the property was deeded to Mary Mossop and Alice Mossop and when the last of the two sisters Alice Mossop passed away on June 20, 1926, the property was devised unto Emma Biddle Irwin who passed away on August 18, 1963 and the property was devised unto her 2 children Louise Irwin Brinton and Richard B. Irwin. 

Three years later, the property was sold by Mr. Irwin and Mrs. Brinton to The Salvation Army, a non-profit corporation, organized and existing under the laws of the State of New York. From 1967 until 2002 when the Salvation Army purchased the former Hillsdale Elementary School and closed the building on North Front Street the property was given to a realtor for the purpose of selling it. 

In October of 2003, an offer to purchase the property was given by William and Shelia Williams Jr. of Curwensville, PA, for the purpose of opening a funeral home in it. After 8 months of getting various approvals from the Salvation Army’s different levels of hierarchy, the Williams’ closed on the property in June of 2004. 

The property was structurally sound, but needed intense cosmetic work so later that summer remodeling began, with the Williams’s and their son-in-law David Franson, doing much of the demolition and rough carpentry. 22 months later, on April 1, 2006 and after receiving approvals from all the various agencies, the Chester C. Chidboy Funeral home, Inc. of Clearfield opened for business, offering the same high level of services at the Clearfield location as it has been offering at its Curwensville location for over 54 years. Mr. David E. Franson II is the Supervisor and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your convenience.